Tuesday, January 29, 2013

IST 204: Activity 1-8


Information technology positions are in such abundance these days that sometimes it is difficult to find one in which you will qualify. Most companies want at least a year or more of experience, while others want certifications. Luckily at least the certifications are attainable with some schooling. I myself am working on getting my A+ and then pursing a degree in network administration. That being said I started looking at some positions to see what was out there right now for grabs. Having the following qualifications …
Knowledge:
·         Knowledge of Microsoft windows operating systems (Xp, Vista, 7, and Windows 8)
·         Help desk software and remote support software
·         Knowledge of Microsoft office suite
·         PC and laptop hardware repair
·         Anti-virus and anti-malware software  (Norton, AVG, Microsoft security essentials)
Skills:
·         Install and customize a multitude of software applications
·         Key 28wpm with 90% accuracy
·         Have removed over 100+ viruses and Trojans
·         Repaired and maintained network for small business around 10 pcs
·         Installed over 200+ POS (Point of Sale) terminals
Abilities:
·         Strong organizational skills to improve productivity
·         Read, write and speak Spanish fluently
·         Ability to explain technical jargon to end users for them to understand
·         Strong verbal and written skills
·         Ability to complete tasks on time and without supervision

The position I choose is at McGrath Systems job posting
These are the requirements for the positions listed
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Respond to customer technical and service enquiries via phone, email and chat.
Meet and exceed customer expectations.
Utilize electronic systems to ensure that all enquiries and customer contacts are logged as they occur.
Guide existing and new customers in the full use and implementation of software and database features.
Participate in projects to manage the rollout to customers of new releases, and new features
Manage information flow ensuring that enhancement requests, bugs, and other product issues are communicated.
Provide ongoing technical training of customers, administrators and partners, on all relevant products, user interfaces and administrative tools.
OTHER DUTIES
Participate in testing of upcoming software releases and provide feedback to development
Attend conferences to provide support to sales, marketing, and our customer base
Participate in cross-functional teams and assist other teams in coming up to speed with new products and technologies
Work to maintain overall departmental goals and service levels
As a member  of project teams assists in the writing of process documentation
Proactively provide written technical problem/solution documents for the customer-facing and internal technical knowledgebases
Aiding in the creation of demonstration resources for software products and client focused services.
Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor

I feel that this position would be ideal for me only because I don’t have much experience in the IT field. With the classes I am taking at the college now I can expand my knowledge and allow me to apply for future better positions.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed several help desk positions of late. The skillset and experience levels vary. There is alot to be said for being a well rounded IT person as well, especially for us older students. After completing my internship, I got a real feel for a day in the life of a typical IT department. It involves being a jack-of-all-trades so to speak. I was also thankful for my years of dealing with customers. It really came to my rescue....

    ReplyDelete