Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ch3-Discussion Question/Reading Level


“If a technical writer has a choice of reading levels for a document (as measured by a readability index), it is preferable to aim for a reading level that is a little too high, rather than a little too low, which might insult the intelligence of your readers.”

I completely disagree with this statement. If a technical writer composes something and it is too difficult for the general public to understand it defeats the purpose of the writing itself.
I think that each technical composition should be looked at individually and take into account who will be reading it. If the directions are for something very technical that your average Joe would not be doing, at that point the wording must be at the correct level for the person preforming the task.
On the other hand if the piece is to be intended for a group of individuals not at that same level of understanding as the writer themselves the writer should take that into consideration.
I personally think technical writing should be at a high school reading level. It is a level of reading that is understood by majority of the public and those in a higher level of understanding and reading level understand that the piece was written at this level not to insult but to make it easier to understand for the masses.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Technical-Writing---Whats-a-Reading-Level-Anyway?&id=1271023

1 comment:

  1. It appears that we share the same viewpoint on this matter. Nate made a good point and you do as well with not insulting your audience. But I think it is better to insult one or two individuals than to lose 5-6 people because I may have assumed that they knew more than they did. My goal is to reach the widest group possible. I do think that a high school level is a good range to start and then adjust based upon your target group.

    ReplyDelete