Sunday, February 10, 2013

Activity 2-6: Evaluating My Communication Skills


After going to www.optimalthinking.com/quiz-communication-skills.asp  and taking the quiz there I started to notice a pattern in my responses. It seems I tend to not pity or want to associate with people who are egotistical, have no self-esteem, or no drive to do their job or the task at hand. I am more than willing to work together only because their success directly affects my own. This is something that I already knew and have been working on; as well as issues with temper. I can be a little hot headed at times when people don’t want to listen to what I am saying or just blow me off. It is very tough though to change that but I am working on it with the use of some techniques and phrases that I have listed below. Feel free to use them yourselves they work great for me.
Song that I sing to keep calm <-- No cursing or any of that*

2 comments:

  1. Jonathan,

    I have a lot of the same issues that you do with communication, I tend to not pity people, and I disassociate myself from people who are feeling sorry for themselves, have a large ego, or have no drive. These types of people make me angry, and rather than allow myself to be put in a position where my temper may be compromised I just choose to remove myself from the equation. Generally when I do end up in one of these situations I have to walk away because I too have a tendency to let my temper get the best of me. You're right it's very difficult to control anger, the important thing to remember is that no matter how angry you are if you don't find a way to blow it off you end up looking like a fool, and anyone with anger issues has been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same issue. I tend to mirror what is coming at me. If someone is rude or angry I have to be very careful not to absolve that behavior and then reflect it back. Taking deep breaths and or walking away is sometimes all you can do. I do find egotists hard to be around but if you can manipulate their ego just right sometimes you can learn valuable information or have a valuable resource should you need it. Of course this does mean having to be very tolerant and that can be very challenging on a regular basis. While I don't pity anyone one I do try and be compassionate. I think that as a tech my knowledge is why I am helping them. I do however get easily frustrated with the sorrowful group of people.

    ReplyDelete